We are getting ready for fall here at the Country Cottage. I am so glad that you could stop by today, I have really been working trying to get everything done so we can just enjoy the Cottage. Let's sit down and have a cup of tea. My friend Amy was making scones and she sent me a picture of them they looked so good I could almost smell them so guess what, I have some coming out of the oven, they will be great with our tea.
Labor Day week end always marks the turning point for fall. It's a major change in the season. When I lived in a colder climate, it meant we had just a little while to prepare for the winter. The Farmers Almanac is predicting a frigid winter this year however here in a warmer climate we have a little more time before the hard winter comes. It is the beginning of a season change and these are some of the things we do to get ready.
- No matter where I have lived, I have always tried to make my environment attractive. I don't think it takes a lot of money, just some time, effort, and creativity.
- One of the things I do to enhance my home is to change out the decorations with the seasons. I have made many of my decorative items, some have been given to me and some I have just acquired over the years and keep recycling them.
- I like to put up all my summer decorations. All the silk flowers wrapped in tissue and packed back in the box that is labeled Summer Silk Flowers.
- Get out all the Fall decorations, some of the boxes are Silk Flowers, some or other types of decorations for the season. Its always fun to unpack the seasonal boxes, it's almost like Christmas or your birthday.
- Then comes the decorating: I always clear off everything and start from scratch, with the coffee table, end tables, and door wreaths.
- Then comes the Silk Flower arrangements, I don't think I have ever made them the same way twice. If I get one that I really love, I take a picture of it and hope to duplicate it again sometime.
- I remember when my children were small, I had the very clean look...nothing on the tables , it was just easier to take care of, but then as they got older I began to acquire more and more. Some of my children will remember dusting as one of their chores and I am sure that they would say it was way to much.
- As I am going through the boxes I am sorting out things I want to keep, things I will use this year and things that will go into the Fall
- Next I like to go through all the closets. I sort through all the clothes that need to be mended, or put into a Charity Box for Giving Away, or a box for the Fall
- If I have not worn something in two years, it has to go, unless it is a classic after five, coat, or something that never goes out of fashion. Well there are some things that never go in the box, like the old sweats that you snuggle up with in the winter, or the worn pair of Birkenstock's that know my feet better than I do.
- I like to go through all of my table linen, and make sure that all the fall colors are washed and ironed and ready to use.
- Next we are off to the Pantry. I like to make sure that I have a well stocked pantry going into the fall and winter months. When living out in the country, it may not always be easy to get into
the villageduring bad weather.
- I like to go through my kitchen utensils and sort out things that I may want to put into the Fall
- We love to freshen all the window treatments by hanging them on the clothes line to air out or wash and iron them. The same treatment for all the quilts and comforters. Just a wonderful fresh smell in the linen closet.
- Then the best part for last, the cleaning from top to bottom. Remember we are about to be shut up in the house for the winter months, and I really want it to start out fresh.
Happy Fall Ya'll!!
Peace and Joy
Southern In My Heart